Friday, March 27, 2009

What's Next..... Ransome, What Did you say Ransomeware?

I just finished reading an article in InfomationWeek, "Scareware Morphs Into Ransomware", by Tim Wilson. It never ceases to amaze me what is going on in the dark shadows of computing. Now we have "ransomeware".

I guess I was sleeping last June or thinking about NAC, when the news broke on the new type of malware which encrypts your hard drive and provides you with a pop up letting you know that you can purchase a key that will unlock your data if you want to get it back.

It is quite a ploy. Thank God for TimeMachine! Hopefully, Macs are not possible targets? It seems that this nasty bug is a variant of Gpcode which, I do not have a clue about other than it has been around for a while and the author is getting smarter about how to prevent removal.

I must give kudos..... no way beyond kudos to Kapersky and FireEye who are offering free removal for the poor souls who's computers might become infected with this. According to the information that I have taken a look at, we are are not likely to see this here in the United States, only Eastern Europe and Russia; however, is this what's coming?

Sometimes, I have to wonder where you have to surf to or what you have to do to get some of these incredibly obtrusive bugs. I guess I am fortunate. I have had friends who's computers were locked up with virus's. I hate to talk about it but the closest I have come is a warning that an email had been infected.

That being said, I still try to use every precaution possible to prevent the newest worm from wrecking havoc in my life. But who can be so careful as to never fall for the latest scam. I just finished my taxes a couple of weeks ago and I received a Phishing email disguised as from IRS. I looked at it, and of course my jaw dropped to the floor. However, it said that I was due money, so of course, you immediately let your guard down. Now how many unsuspecting people might follow it through and provide their personal information?

Well, not meaning to be so down on a Friday afternoon, but it did make me scratch my head and think............what's next?

Gotta go. Off to see the Radiators tonight! and it is Pictures of Kite Boarders... AKA: DOG Beach, in the morning and then horses in the afternoon!

Have a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment