Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Joys of Starting a Business

My technical skills have been humbled the last few days trying to get my web-site going and to send and retrieve email through my new corporate email system.

My friend and web designer, Carey Landon, in Birmingham, AL has been very gracious and I must say, patient, with me trying to get this going. It seems that the problem was on my end....isn't it always!

I jumped away from Windows a year ago to the Mac and, although I consider myself pretty competent with the Mac since it was first released in 1984 I could not figure it out. I felt I had the skills to fix this; however I could not find the switch that was preventing me from receiving or sending corporate email.

Low and behold, in typical "technical support" fashion it started to work, mind you, on its own! After three days of inputting the same info into the same fields over and over again I can now send and receive email.

I was never able to get "Mac Mail" to work at all, but I was able to download Thunderbird by Mozilla, and after several frustrating hours this morning ( I guess it is a secret Apple initiation) it began to work. I inputted the SAME info over and over again, in the SAME fields (same syntax) and and low and behold the messages began coming in. Just to be sure, I had to, with fingers crossed, forward one to my gmail account. I must have worn down the system or whichever computer god responsible for this prank felt pity on me, and it now works beautiful.

Technology has made great strides forward since I started in IT 1984, but still some things are still complex and very difficult to setup without access to any resources.

I must acknowledge and say Thanks to everyone who spends hours on the phone trying to help other less knowledgeable users get their projects completed.

Hopefully, that will be the last speed bump for today.

Happy Valentines to everyone!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment